Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Back in the U.S.A.

Wow,
It’s hard to believe that this picture taken at the top of the page was the first day we got to Sydney. It’s hard to believe that our time in Sydney is over. We made so many good relationships that were really hard to say goodbye to. I don’t feel that we were even there long enough. We were really just starting to build those relationships and then it was time to leave. But what the Lord has been showing me is that he sovereignly chose for me to be there, for each of my team members to be there, and he also sovereignly chose the days that we would be there. And just as he was working there before we got there and just as he was working exactly the way he wanted to while we were there, he will continue to work there even after we are gone. I realize that if it were up to me I would still be there wanting to do what I think needed to be done, but it makes me also realize how important it is for me to see that I am really just a part of something bigger than myself. He wanted to use me for his kingdom, not my own.

Our trip was investigative so we were sent to Sydney even though Campus Outreach has never sent a team to Sydney before because they wanted us to investigate whether Campus Outreach Australia should expand to Sydney. Ministry is definitely different in Australia, but it was very eye-opening to see how ministry is done there. Whereas here in the Bible Belt of America, many people would be defensive if you assumed they were not a Christian, the opposite is true there. In fact, Christianity is not popular there. I had several people tell me that they would love to live here in Alabama where it’s no big deal to be a Christian. However, as I began to ponder this, I began to realize that both places are just as lost. It’s not looked down upon to say you are a Christian here in Alabama, but actually surrendering your life and living the Christian life would be different. So many people here are going to miss heaven because they thought all along they had it all together. That’s something I learned this summer. So many of us are so good at living the Christian life. We do all the right things. We don’t do all the wrong things. In word, we will say, it’s only by grace that I have been saved, but in our heart, we still think that life is all about me. “I’m going to go to Australia and save lots of people so that people will think I’m a good Christian.” “I’m going to think of the godliest prayer so that people will think I’m a strong Christian.” “I’m going to read my bible everyday so that God will be pleased with me.” It’s all the same. Where does God’s glory fit into any of that? My whole world has been turned upside down from traveling halfway across the world. My prayer for each of you and myself is that we will finally know what Christ means when he says to take up your cross and follow him. What does it really look like to be a Christian—to be a Christ follower?

No comments:

Post a Comment